Quality Countertops Offer Beauty and Durability
Are you in need of new countertops? John Dolan Flooring, Kitchen & Bath carries three types of countertops — quartz, solid surface, and granite — in innumerable textures and colors. We have hundreds of large samples for you to take to view in your own home.
Quartz is a manmade stone that is non-porous. Some types of quartz you may recognize include Silestone, Cambria, and LG Viatera. Quartz is a perfect countertop for a busy household. It never requires more than a daily wipe-down for cleaning and maintenance, and never requires sealing. Quartz is an extremely stain and scratch resistant stone that has become increasingly popular.
≡ Quartz Care & Maintenance Instructions
Cleaning quartz is extremely easy — all you need is a sponge and warm water and a mild soap, if desired. You will never need polish to maintain its high shine.
- Don't expose to any abrasive, strong alkaline, acid, free radical or oxidizers (whether high, neutral, or low PH) cleaners. Various chemicals are corrosive and erosive to quartz.
- Don't expose quartz to products containing bleach, oven cleaners, Comet, SoftScrub, SOS, products with pumice, batteries, paint removers, furniture strippers, tarnish, silver cleaners, or the like.
- Don't use abrasive or harsh scrub pads.
- Don't apply any sealers, penetrants, or topical treatments under any circumstances. Such products will wear off and cause the gloss to appear dull or inconsistent.
- Don't place hot-pots and pans, fry pans, and some crock pots directly on the quartz as it may not be able to withstand the sudden rapid change of temperature.
- Do be careful, as all stone can be damaged by force and no stone is chip proof. Objects hitting edges especially cause chipping to occur.
- Do use a cutting board, as no stone is scratch proof.
Granite is an all natural stone that comes in a wide variety of colors. Within recent years, the price of granite has fallen drastically, making it much more affordable. As it is a porous material, which we seal upon installation, Granite should be sealed every couple of years thereafter, especially in high traffic areas. Sealing is not difficult; it’s similar to waxing a car, and takes about one to two hours for most standard-sized kitchens. We have 29 granite specials that include a sink and a choice of 4 free edges (pencil, ⅜ radius, bevel, and half bull nose).
≡ Granite Care & Maintenance Instructions
Most natural stones are considered very low maintenance, but not maintenance-free. Unless the stone is sealed and maintained properly, some staining may occur. When the stone is installed, we will seal it with a penetrating sealer, which should last 1 to 2 years. After that, you should reseal the stone, particularly in heavy use areas, such as around the sink and stove.
- Don't use cleaners that contain acid, such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub and tile cleaners.
- Don't use vinegar, bleach, amonia or other general purpose cleaners on your grainte.
- Don't cut directly on countertops.
- Do not place hot dieshed or pans directly on stone.
- Do clean up spills immediately. Acid-based spills such as lemon juice, orange juice, etc. tend to eat through the sealant.
- Do use coasters to prevent temporary darkening of the stone and blot up spills as they happen.
- Do use warm water or a neutral PH cleanser. Never use an acid-based cleaner, chemicals or abrasive on your stone.
- Do avoid waxing the stone surface since wax attracts and holds dirt.
- Do exercise caution with perfumes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and saline solution, as they may contain acids, which can damage your stone.
- Do use mats under china, ceramics, silver, or other objects than can scratch the surface.
Solid Surface is a durable, solid acrylic countertop that is simple to clean, bacteria- and stain-resistant since it is non-porous, and has a renewable finish. Solid surface can be repaired if, over time, you feel the need to restore the original finish. We offer Solid Surface in Corian and Livingstone. It has a softer feel with a matte gloss, and some newer colors closely resemble marble or granite. An integral sink is an added bonus of the solid surface: it is a sink made of the same material in a white, bone, or beige tone that is completely seamless, making it a breeze to clean up.
≡ Solid Surface Care & Maintenance Instructions
Soapy water or ammonia based cleaners will clean most dirt and residue from solid surfaces. To disinfect countertops, wipe surface with diluted household bleach (1 part water/1 part bleach). Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry. Your finish — matte, semi-gloss, or high gloss — will determine how you clean a difficult stain. (Most sinks have a matte finish). To remove a difficult stain on a matte finish, use SoftScrub and a green Scotch-Brite pad in a circular motion. For a semi-gloss surface, use SoftScrub and a white Scotch-Brite pad. On a high-gloss surface, use the same procedure but with a sponge, or use white polishing compound.
- Don't place hot objects directly on the solid surface or in the sink, allow to cool before placing in sink.
- Don't expose solid surface to strong chemicals, such as paint removers, oven cleaners, etc. If contact does occur, flush with water immediately.
To assist you in retaining the quality and condition of your countertop, John Dolan Flooring, Kitchen & Bath offers cleaners and preservers that are available for purchase. These products are designed specifically for stone. You can also view their website for further maintenance and cleaning information at www.laticrete.com.
We are dedicated and experienced countertop experts who want to help you to make the right choice for your kitchen. You must consider factors such as the amount and type of usage and surface activity. Of course, style, colors, and patterns play a role in your selection.